Monday, May 3, 2010

Urban Dance Ballet: Marta

THE PREPARATION

This shoot was many hours in the making. I made so many phone calls, went out scouting for locations, purchased props like the dress and rainbow legwarmers in the shots below, met the parents and Jonna - the ballet studio owner where I found my ballet stars, and of course getting props.
I had been putting off getting the rest of my location kit and ordered it for this and the following outdoor shoots. My portable battery is specially made for up to 6 of my lights and the wireless flash remotes (like pocket wizards but sooo much cheaper) worked like a charm! I was able to walk way down the walkway and the lights still were set off.

THE SHOOT

This shoot was completed in studio and downtown over a period of two days. It was EXACTLY what I envisioned in my proposal and is a gem! Marta used the stairs and set like a professional model and just had a blast. Her parents both were with me and helped me haul the gear and hold the stands. That was a God-send because the wind was blowing so hard the huge soft box almost took my daughter (assistant for the day) away!

Note to self: Bring latex gloves, baby wipes and hand sanitizer to move nasty rugs of unknown toxic filth away from the tiny alley.

This pose Marta came up with because the walls were so close together. I had her mom spot her until she got into the right position then rush out of the shot. Her ballet instructor is very happy with this shot and says "this captures the essence of Marta"

What a joy to not only have such a beautiful senior to be but also one so flexible and willing to try difficult poses then be able to make them look so easy! Wow, what a shoot!

This shot was in studio and we incorporated elements of the traditional ballet tutu and pointe shoes along with a more edgy fashion corset and scarf. The pose is modern dance influence as Marta is also taking classes for this. I had this idea as soon as I found the corset and it came out better than I hoped.

(The flooring is made up of 3 panels of 4x8 white sheets you can get at Lowes for about $12 each)

No comments:

Post a Comment